Re: Serious feedback and improvement headroom

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Serious feedback and improvement headroom
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 01:25:37 +0200

Am 12.04.2014 00:00, schrieb Francisco Vila:
Yes, but lilypond is a text-based commandline tool that can easily be used
with frescobaldi. So I would say, it's a good thing, if there are ways to
make communication between lily and frescobaldi easier to achieve cool
things. But the graphical part is still on frescobaldis side - and should
stay there. IMO lily should stay as silly as possible regarding this matter,
because otherwise we might complicate things. And if frescobaldi can provide
such a thing, thats great, *but* its a frescobaldi issue, *not* a lilypond
issue. I say that, because we might modify things in lilypond to make this
possible in frescobaldi, but making it worse for other frontends.

This and other previous ideas make me remember that the LilyPondTool,
the jEdit plugin, had a ruler tool that solved one of the impossible
problems of text-based input: visual interactivity.

It wasn't as useful as it should because a large dialog appeared and
you had to check the docs anyway and take many decisions, and thus it
was error-prone, cumbersome and awkward to use (and more adjectives
alike if I knew them). That said, it still worked well if you were
very experienced.

This is how it was used: you placed the text cursor right where an
override command should go. Then you could move a grob in the PDF
preview with your mouse and hit OK, and the complete command was
pasted in the code, provided that you set all settings correctly.

I think that the right context and cursor coordinates could be chosen
automatically, and this would become a _very_ useful tool that filled
one of the few holes our workflow has. It served perfectly for bezier
control coordinates of slurs, too.

I think this all falls on the Frescobaldi side. I like LP text based
with the almost infinite power of code, easily writable and highly
readable (although some of the most complex scores are nearly
"write-only"). Open format, human readable scores _and_ beautiful
default results are a dream come true for me. My 2 euro cents.

I think this is very much what we're currently working at with Frescobaldi. We're currently starting with an editable SVG viewer tool that is accompanied by an "Object Editor" panel.

Urs