Compiling LilyPond to Javascript (crazy implausible idea)

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Compiling LilyPond to Javascript (crazy implausible idea)
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 14:18:43 -0700 (PDT)

Here is a crazy and implausible idea that I thought I'd share for curiosity's
sake, just thinking out loud for kicks and not as a serious suggestion:
compiling LilyPond to Javascript so it can run in a web browser.

Mozilla has introduced tools[1] that make it possible to compile large C/C++
code bases to Javascript so they can run in the browser as web apps,
including intense 3D games[2]. Could this work for LilyPond's C++ code?

But then what about LilyPond's Scheme code?  There's also a Scheme to
JavaScript compiler, Scheme2JS[3].

And then you'd have to get those two sets of generated Javascript code to
talk to each other.  The mind reels at the thought...

I know nothing of these things outside of Mozilla's blog, but every time
they post about it I can't help but think of LilyPond, so I just wanted to
get it off my mind.

-Paul

[1] Emscripten and asm.js:
https://github.com/kripken/emscripten/wiki