Re: Fix temporary polyphony "for good" (was 'Re: Ties in complex polypho

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Fix temporary polyphony "for good" (was 'Re: Ties in complex polyphony')
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 11:04:26 -0400

> So what?  That's more of a reason to get rid of the idiosyncrasies
> rather than providing incomplete commands with strange semantics
> that people then start relying on.

Which is exactly why I posted my question in the first place: trying to promote
the elimination of [one of] Lilypond's idiosyncracies.

In any case, there are too many idiosyncracies for the small development team
to take care of "immediately". Hence we are forced to use (and "start relying
on") many, many, many, many — is my point clear yet? — many, many "incomplete
commands with strange semantics" in order to get our work done.

At least some of us use Lilypond very heavily on a daily basis. For example,
this week alone I: finished composing and engraving a 12-minute song cycle for
piano, cello, and voice; updated scores of three different (all relatively
complex) multi-act music dramas; and prepared score files for five movements
which will include very large forces (double orchestra plus three smaller
ensembles plus two choirs) to be filled in with new compositions/arrangements
over the next few weeks.

Waiting around for proper implementations of things like temporary polyphony is
not a real option if I want to get my work done in a timely fashion.

Best regards,
Kieren.