Re: improving our workflow with better tools - let's test things.

From: James
Subject: Re: improving our workflow with better tools - let's test things.
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 09:16:37 +0100

Hello,

Depending on how you imagine the patch 'nanny' process to work and don't want to end up having to assign that role to a developer, bear in mind the following:

When I look at the google tracker I can see an easy *open* (i.e. no hidden/nested/rolled up) comments that I can *quickly* scroll down to see if a patch is really able to be moved on that one step.

If there is nothing in the tracker I can link directly to Rietveld (because every patch has a Rietveld with a link in the tracker I can just click on; no cut paste URL nonsense), then when I get to Rietveld I have yet another thread I can follow for any comments with - and this is nice - a 'how-long-ago-the-last-comment-was-made', not a date but a '6 houts ago, 2 days ago' etc.

The point is that when I am managing 15 patch reviews I don't (won't) read the email thread [1] I look at tracker, see what has been said, I click on Rietveld see what has been said; it's all there in front of me, no extra windows to click or open, one single application (web browser) to use, it's two tabs on my browser. Quick, easy, simple. Anyone who can read English can do it.

Now of course, whatever you all decide is fine by me, but the point is (to all you programmers who don't already contribute regularly) the Bug Squad and Patch-meister/nanny are NOT developers do NOT understand 95% of what is being discussed, but can read, can understand things like 'we need to work on this more' or 'I disagree and we need more discussion' etc. so as to imply if a patch needs putting on hold or can be moved on.

So make sure that whatever we end up with is easy and *quick* to use for non-developers. Else it will be developers that will be reviewing bugs, patches and eventually forwarding them on for pushing.

James

[1] To all you developers who always say why can't we just email our patch diffs to dev to comment on? Fine, do that, but I won't be reading or trying to decipher some 'inline, 5th indented reply to a top-posted-sometimes-full-of-pointless +1 comments-patch diff email thread. Life is too short.