Re: Adds dimension stencil command to correct with-dimension (issue 1295

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: Adds dimension stencil command to correct with-dimension (issue 12957047)
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 13:17:53 +0300

On 26 août 2013, at 13:13, address@hidden wrote:

> On 2013/08/26 10:05:25, mike7 wrote:
>> On 26 août 2013, at 13:00, mailto:address@hidden wrote:
>
>> > That's bullshit since nobody assembles stencil expressions manually.
>
>> I assemble stencil expressions manually.
>
> If you meddle with internals, that's your own business.
>
>> > This is done using opaque functions like ly:stencil-translate.
>
>> ly:make-stencil is all over the place in the code and is a public
> function which
>> accepts a user-made expression.
>
> The only documented way to generate "user-made" expressions is to create
> a stencil with the normal ly:stencil-... or stencil-... API functions
> and extract its expression with ly:stencil-expr.  There is _no_
> guarantee that anything else will work, and there is no guarantee that
> the format of stencil expressions will be what it is now.
>
> You of all people should know that since you juggled around quite a bit
> reorganizing stencil primitives used in the backend.

I was aware that the juggling would potential screw up scores (including my
own) but proposed it because it was a move in the right direction, meaning that
I knew we would never be adding these stencils back in again.

I think Harm is right that, irrespective of documentation, users use what's
available.  If we're going to add something, we want to be sure that it has a
certain degree of permanency.  I don't think we can treat it as an
implementation detail if it is publicly useable.

Cheers,
MS