Re: colorful make output! yum!

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: colorful make output! yum!
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 21:33:14 +0200

Hi,

2013/8/15 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> Franciszek Boehlke <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I think I can promise to support and maintain it.
>
> If we have a subsystem depend on continued support by a single person,
> it must be easy to remove the subsystem as a whole.
>
> Consider it LilyPond's life insurance.  We don't really want such
> dependencies.  They mean that if one person quits, it will take at least
> five times the original effort to maintain stuff.  "Don't look here,
> somebody else will maintain it" corners are really expensive in the long
> run.

could you explain how this patch could become difficult to maintain
and/or cause building problems?
I've read the patch and despite the fact that i don't know anything
about make and makefiles, i quite clearly undestand what it's doing,
and that it's very straightforward.  I don't see how it could cause us
trouble.

Btw, Franek, Harm tried compiling lilypond with your patch and the
colors didn't show - there were just verbatim color codes.
Interestinglty, git log and diff worked with colors.  Any ideas?

best,
Janek

PS i don't consider the above bug with color codes a serious problem
(but maybe i'm wrong?): lilypond builds as usual,  and make output is
still more readable than before.