Re: maintaining advanced power-user Scheme functions

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: maintaining advanced power-user Scheme functions
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 12:02:46 +0200

2013/8/19 Phil Holmes <address@hidden>:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Janek Warchoł"
>> After some thinking, i came to the conclusion that LSR should be
>> redesigned.
>> Fristly, it should be a git repository, to make collaboration easy -
>> when something's a git repository, i have a habit of contributing
>> stuff there on every opportunity, because even if i do something wrong
>> i can undo this.
>
> I'd guess you're in a minority of about 1% of users who would prefer using
> git to using a web interface.  The current web interface allows you to
> copy-and-paste code directly in, or alternatively to type it directly in.
> Both are simple and quick.  To use git propoerly requires installing a new
> program and learning how to use it.  Remember yesterday when you recommended
> a whole book about how it's used?  If that doesn't put off casual
> contributors, nothing will.  I started work on LilyPond by adding regtests
> to the LSR.  If git had been required, I wouldn't have done so.

A valid concern, but i have a counterargument: there is a web
interface for git that allows you to copy-and-paste code directly in,
or alternatively to type it directly in. Both are quite simple and
quick.  This doesn't require installing a new program and learning how
to use it.

It's github.

I've just checked and made a couple commits using that web interface.
Plain and simple, *with* all the advantages of git underneath.  Of
course i may be biased, so i invite you to check this with me.  I
believe that i will be able to explain everything that's needed in
5-10 minutes.  Would you like to try?

Actually, i believe that it would be good to have lilypond repository
on github, so that new contributors would be able to create patches
easily.  They wouldn't have to install a virtual machine with Lilydev.
 Found a typo in documentation?  Create a fix and submit it in *2
minutes.*

>> Secondly, i think that it shouldn't depend on any particular lilypond
>> version - in fact, it shouldn't actually run any lilypond in my
>> opinion.  I believe that LSR should hold both snippets' code and their
>> output, with lilypond version clearly stated, and thus allow to post
>> snippets for any lilypond version.  It would just be a collection of
>> snippets.
>
> The benefit of it running LilyPond is that it shows the result of the code
> on the fly - no need to create and upload images.  This is another
> significant benefit.

I'm not sure if i understand.  Does LSR compile snippets every time i
open its webpage?
Anyway, i'm not saying that LSR shouldn't be able to run LilyPond,
just that it should not require this for operation.

>> I could elaborate on this topic, but as i don't have time to actually
>> do something about it it probably wouln't make sense (unless someone
>> wanted to lead such a change - then i would gladly help).
>
> It doesn't need much changing - the main problem is maintaining the web
> site.

What if the things i pointed out make it hard to maintain?
I'd just like to point this out:
- with current system, i know that i'm not going to help with updating
LSR.  If i had more time, i'd gladly do that, but i don't have.
However, if it was independent from LilyPond version - i.e. updating
one snippet means that the update becomes instantly visible, because
updating isn't an all-or-nothing deal - i would gladly update some
snippets from time to time, if it could be done "via git".
- i have some valuable snippets and templates myself, and i'd like to
share them, but i don't see how they could fit with current LSR
system.
- i have 79 emails marked "valuable snippet".  Adding them to LSR (the
way it works currently) would require a lot of work, and i don't have
time for this.  But if the LSR worked another way, i could do
something about it.

If you'd like to discuss this more, i think IRC could be a good idea
(it's faster) - i'm logged in.

best,
Janek