Re: Issue 3491: Add \displayMarkup command. (issue 12732043)

From: dak
Subject: Re: Issue 3491: Add \displayMarkup command. (issue 12732043)
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 05:50:44 +0000

On 2013/08/16 02:38:49, Mark Polesky wrote:
David Kastrup wrote:
>> Any chance to join them completely?
>
> Not yet.  It's a long-term goal.  And of course, there are a
> few things that are not easily reconciled: compare
> \void\displayScheme -5
> with
> \void\displayMusic -5

Well, I played around with this, and David's example is
pretty convincing.  I vote to go ahead with adding
\displayMarkup.

Huh?  Can you name a _single_ advantage that is gained by having
\displayMarkup (which is only different from \displayScheme by refusing
to accept a number of arguments) instead of \displayScheme?

One thing I don't understand though: what value is there in
writing a \displayScheme command that takes a scheme
argument and prints a scheme expression to the console?
Seems pretty redundant to me.

You are aware that a scheme? argument does not mean that the argument
needs to be entered with #?

\markup { "Hi" } is a perfectly valid Scheme argument for a music
function.

https://codereview.appspot.com/12732043/