Re: Avoids calling pure calculations too far downstream and avoids trigg

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: Avoids calling pure calculations too far downstream and avoids triggering quanting too far upstream (issue 12951044)
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 08:54:58 +0300

On 15 août 2013, at 08:51, address@hidden wrote:

> On 2013/08/15 05:35:49, Keith wrote:
>
>> In most cases, 'cross-staff' means exactly that the height (Y-extent)
> depends on
>> staff-spacing.
>
> Oh.  It is the ottava bracket from the example for issue 3385 that is
> not cross-staff,
> but whose positioning references a cross-staff beam.
>
> But if we change the pitches to raise that beam, the ottava bracket does
> not in fact move in response (either before or after this patch).
>
> If we had ever succeeded in moving spanners in response to cross-staff
> grobs that they are side-positioned over, we should probably mark those
> spanners as cross-staff.
>
> If the spanners have never successfully responded to the position of
> cross-staff support, we should just skip cross-staff items from the
> support.

This is a great idea, but I'm not sure the best way to implement it.
It's not possible at the engraver stage when the grobs are originally put in
the list.
And it's kinda kludgy to check for it every time we extract the grob set.

But it is a great idea if in fact the spanner is not responding to these
objects at all.

Cheers,
MS