Re: wrt 'Make doc crashing on my PC'

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: wrt 'Make doc crashing on my PC'
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 22:37:28 +0200

Keith OHara <address@hidden> writes:

> Petr Gajdos <pgajdos <at> suse.cz> writes:
>
>> I have same symptoms like Phil described.
>
>> Core was generated by `/usr/bin/lilypond -dpreview -dresolution=150 -o ./
> out-www orchestra.ly'.
>
> If I understand correctly, this gives a way to reproduce the bug, on a
> 64-bit GNU/Linux system, without building the entire Documentation.

Let me point out that you can run inside of gdb with

target record

and that allows you to step backwards from the point of the core dump.
This can be extremely helpful for finding the point in execution where
things start to go wrong.  Recording, of course, slows the execution
speed quite down, so it sometimes helps to find a suitable place for a
breakpoint where you switch on "target record".

It's a nuisance that I can't reproduce on my 32bit system.  Maybe I need
to see what it would entail to install a 64bit system in addition (my
CPU would allow that).