Re: LilyPond.org down?

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: LilyPond.org down?
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 16:06:56 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, August 05, 2013 3:45 PM

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> writes:

David Kastrup writes:

It would seem like the NSA can't keep up with filtering all our
traffic.  At least I see

    Site currently down due to high traffic

And subpages like www.lilypond.org/gub/ are 404.

Apparently we are creating the high traffic ourselves.

   Jullie blazen momenteel de webserver op, omdat er aldoor grote
   bestanden gedownload worden die ook aldoor gezipped worden. Daardoor
   loopt de tmp vol. Kunnen jullie dat wijzigen?

   You are blowing up the webserver, by many large files dowloads
   that are also getting zipped.  This fills up /tmp.  Please fix.

Did anything major change, recently?  Also, the webmask of files
in website/ is still wrong (I asked more than once about this);
files are not lilypond-group writable.

I'm not aware of any changes being made, unless it's the regularity of the upgrades and people downloading the PDFs more often.

As to the mask - if you give me instructions of what to do, I can do it.

It would be interesting to see what kind of files are filling up /tmp.
I can't think of significantly offered zipped files, so I'd guess that
some crawler just tries them for bandwidth's sake and is happy to find
them workable.  Maybe we should disable compression?

As it stands right now, /tmp is empty.

--
Phil Holmes