How are stems created?

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: How are stems created?
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 15:32:37 +0100

I've been experimenting with alternative algorithms to create the flags used in mensural notation (see http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3105), and part of the problem appears to be that the stems aren't attached symmetrically to the notehead. I'm not sure whether this is deliberate or not, but I would like to look at it. Could someone who understands this part of LilyPond explain how and where stems are added to noteheads (and, for completeness, flags are attached to stems)?

Thanks in advance.

An image of alternative flags, highlighted in red, is attached.

--
Phil Holmes