Re: Tie Crusade

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Tie Crusade
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 23:39:55 +0200

2013/7/14 Frédéric Bron <address@hidden>:
> I also read the proposed ideas in "notes about solution.txt" but I
> admit that it is difficult to understand for a novice to the lilypond
> C++ code. However, thanks for having written all this, I am sure it
> will become clearer later.

Since i've been thinking about this issue for 2 years, it is certainly
possible that i've used some mental shortcuts difficult to understand
for other people.  Don't hesitate to ask about them - i think it will
work if you just write questions inside that file.

> It might be useful to add an introduction to the the concepts (what is
> a standalone tie?

clarified that.

> layout process in lilypond?)

Not sure how can i explain this.
(also, be aware that i don't fully understand all LilyPond internal
mechanisms, but i think i know enough to get this project going)

> In particular, the
> files that should be looked at at the beginning. Files containing tie
> in their name are quite numerous:
> repeat-tie-engraver.cc
> semi-tie.cc
> semi-tie-column.cc
> tab-tie-follow-engraver.cc
> tie.cc
> tie-column.cc
> tie-configuration.cc
> tie-details.cc
> tie-engraver.cc
> tie-formatting-problem.cc
> tie-performer.cc
> tie-specification.cc

I'm afraid that we'll have to read all of them.

> Is there also a general presentation of the calculation system which
> says how penalties work?

Apparently not, which is very unfortunate.  We'll have to start by
reading current code, commenting and documenting it, so that we'll
understand what it's doing now before we attempt to change it.

> However, I will start with the user manual on ties because I have
> never changed the defaults up to now...

sounds like a good idea.
I'm going to bed now - see you again tomorrow.
Janek