Re: whack-a-regression

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: whack-a-regression
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 17:48:35 +0200

2013/7/2 Keith OHara <address@hidden>:
> Janek Warchoł <janek.lilypond <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> i've decided that instead of complaining about slowed development
>> process, i can do some bug-fixing instead.
>>

> You could experiment to understand better the situations that lead to the
> out-of-memory crash under Windows --- issue 3432 and other reports on bug-
> lilypond yesterday.  This makes version 2.17.21 useless on Windows.
> It is difficult to debug in the traditional ways, because it does not
> happen in the development environments: Linux or BSD-style MacOS.
>
> Looking at the commits since version 2.17.20, the only one that seems
> related is my change to outside-staff-padding, but I cannot imagine a way
> for that change to cause this problem.

Neither do i...  I've looked at the code and tried example in the
tracker (it failed as described), but i don't know what to do.  This
is the place where i need assistance (i'm online for about an hour
now).

> The problem seems to need text that uses skylines being placed outside
> the staff.  Tiny changes to the text avoid the problem, including adding
> spaces to the start of the text.  I have not investigated whether the
> problem affects lyrics (which are place in their own verticalAxisGroup)
> or dynamics (which can be placed against the staff or in a Dynamics).

\new Lyrics \lyricmode { \markup \bold Largo }
compiled fine.

> You would want to find a way to recognize the problem before Windows starts
> to page memory to disk, because that slows the system down quite a lot.

I've noticed that it doesn't consume all memory on my machine (Win7
with 8GB RAM) - it stops after about 2GB.

hth,
Janek