The Freeze

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: The Freeze
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 17:42:00 +0200

Hi all,

it's been a while since we announced the freeze aimed at releasing
2.18.  I'm not sure if it's working properly, though: it seems that
the development process lost a lot of momentum.  (As for the remaning
critical bugs, i feel quite incompetent in these areas...)

Summer months were usually the most active ones for LilyPond (at least
that's what statistics say), so i think that it would be good to end
the freeze - even if that means saying goodbye to 2.18 this year. (but
that's just my personal opinion.)

At any rate, i have holidays now and i want to "spend them" mostly on
LilyPond: i want to bring at least some of the gsoc stuff to a
finished state.  Also, as i've written in another email, my cousin is
working on LilyPond as his University internship and i'm helping him;
we hope to have some serious work done during the summer.

It will help me *immensely* [1] if i'll be getting reviews on my
patches, and reviews on new features/architecture changes tend to
appear when there is no freeze - that's why it would suit me to end
it.  But please don't feel obliged or pressured to do this.  Freeze or
no freeze, i'm going to do some coding and put patches for review.

cheers,
Janek

[1] i estimate that having my questions answered increase my
productivity about 200%.