Re: stylesheet structure

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: stylesheet structure
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 09:53:36 +0200

Am Sonntag, den 12.05.2013, 21:51 -0400 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm working on putting together some "house style" stylesheets, and wanted to
> see if I had the best structure…
>
> As one example, I'm tweaking up a Henle piano score stylesheet (e.g.
> Beethoven Piano Sonatas Urtext, ca. 1980):
>
> 1. Lilypond.ily
> -- basic settings [that really should be Lilypond defaults!]
>
> 2. Score.ily
> -- \Score context settings [that really should be Lilypond defaults!]
> -- \include Lilypond.ily
>
> 3. PianoStaff.ily
> -- \PianoStaff context settings [that really should be Lilypond defaults!]
> -- \include Score.ily
>
> 4. Henle_house.ily
> -- settings that are Henle- (but not piano-) specific
>
> 5. Henle_piano.ily
> -- settings that are Henle-piano-specific
> -- \include Henle_house.ily and \PianoStaff.ily
>
> 6. piano_Henle_concert.ily
> -- final settings that make it all look like (e.g.) the Beethoven Piano
> Sonatas edition
> -- \include Henle_piano.ily
>
> Does that look like the best (i.e., most flexible) structure?

I don't know if it's the _best_ and _most flexible_ structure, but it
definitely looks like a _good_ and _flexible_ structure.
You can modularely exchange files at any level, and you can include any
style with one line in your main .ly file.
(Just one question: Why is 6. named as it is?)
I'd suggest to go for it.

And I think we all would be quite interested in your results ;-)

Urs