Re: Change name of Patch Handler to Patch Meister in CG (issue 7498045)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Change name of Patch Handler to Patch Meister in CG (issue 7498045)
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 02:40:46 -0800

On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 09:35:00AM +0000, address@hidden wrote:
> On 2013/03/06 09:22:21, mike7 wrote:

> >It is a misleading name that should be changed.  I thought I was the
> patch
> >handler when reading that document because I am the one handling my
> patch.
>
> English is your native language, so I am at a loss that you can't see
> the difference between "Patch Handler" and "patch handler".
> But we are not talking about a "package handler" but rather a "Package
> Handler".  If you are _capitalizing_ "Package Handler", it is a title
> rather than a description.  The only language I know where
> capitalization implies anything than a "proper noun" or a sentence
> beginning is German.

I'm afraid that some readers see no distinction between Words with
capitals and words With no Capitals.  I sometimes See such abuses
from youngsters (i.e. first-year university students in Glasgow
and Vancouver), but more Often in writing from ESL countries such
as China.  Yes, I Even see it in academic writing which reviewing
conference and journal submissions.

I suppose I should be thankFul that at least they don't randomly
capitalize letters within words.

All snarkiness aside, I personally wouldn't assume that the writer
of a document intended anything special by "Patch Handler" vs.
"patch handler".  So I think this is a good change.

- Graham