Re: git-cl error message

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: git-cl error message
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 12:41:26 -0000

Aleksandr Andreev wrote Friday, November 30, 2012 9:22 PM

> I am getting the following message when I try to run git cl upload
> origin/master:
> urllib2.HTTPError: HTTP Error 301: Moved Permanently

I get the same error.

See http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E301.html
which says:

"The 301 response from the Web server should always include an alternative URL
to which redirection should occur. If it does, a Web browser will immediately
retry the alternative URL. So you never actually see a 301 error in a Web
browser, unless perhaps you have a corrupt redirection chain e.g. URL A
redirects to URL B which in turn redirects back to URL A. If your client is not
a Web browser, it should behave in the same way as a Web browser i.e.
immediately retry the alternative URL.

"If the Web server does not return an alternative URL with the 301 response,
then either the Web server sofware itself is defective or the Webmaster has not
set up the URL redirection correctly."