Re: Adds documentation for optional octavation clef syntax (issue 683004

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Adds documentation for optional octavation clef syntax (issue 6830043)
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 20:30:15 +0100

Am 09.11.2012 11:12, schrieb Janek Warchoł:
Hi Marc,

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Marc Hohl <address@hidden> wrote:
Am 08.11.2012 09:22, schrieb address@hidden:
I suppose that a parenthesized clef octavation doesn't mean that the
octavation is optional (that is, it doesn't mean "you may choose to play
it in this octave or another, whatever pleases you most").  I suppose
that a parenthesized clef octavation means that it's just a reminder, or
that the octavation number is editorial.
I used them in my pieces before in exactly the way you describe above.
For a flute, I used \clef "G^(8)" to indicate that the player may play it
one
octave above (preferred in combination with concert flute) or as written
(when played with recorder).
Interesting.  Of course the notation you describe makes sense, but i
would definitely avoid it because it seems to ambiguous to me.
By the way, is it just me or are brackets (as opposed to parentheses)
commonly used for indicating editorial elements?  If so, i think that
a bracketed octavation would mean a "reminder".  That would make it
easy to confuse the two meanings.
To be honest: I just implemented [...] as well because it was
proposed as an enhancement on Harm's survey:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2012-10/msg00178.html

I don't use it, so I can't judge about it, but the (...) seem to be
used for the "optional" reading.

Marc