Re: testing new texinfo.tex

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: testing new texinfo.tex
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 13:18:10 +0200 (CEST)

> Bug in Texinfo.  It looks like this texinfo.tex can't deal with \ in
> section titles.  But \ is not supposed to be a special character in
> Texinfo files.

Looking up the bug-texinfo mailing list archive, I now remember that
I've diskussed this by myself :-/.  It is an endless grief,
unfortunately.

You might read this discussion thread:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-texinfo/2011-08/msg00002.html

ending with Karl's conclusion:

  The only way I see to retain compatibility with the 4.13 texinfo.tex
  is not to use @macro when the arg might have \.  Sorry.

In other words, as long as we use texinfo 4.13, we must not update to
a recent texinfo.tex, which is a pity since the new version contains
improved layout handling.  The alternative is to avoid `\' in
@lydoctitle, but I really would dislike such a decision.

BTW, new (test) versions have @backslashchar{}.

    Werner