Re: transferring file from mac osx to windows 7

From: James
Subject: Re: transferring file from mac osx to windows 7
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 17:03:07 +0100

hello,

On 14 May 2012 22:23, trandrusiii <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am trying to move a file from mac osx to windows 7 however when I try to
> paste text in the file maxes out. When I try opening the file directly, all
> the formatting is lost and becomes impossible to work on. Is this a
> limitation of the software?

No its a limitation of the text editor and the differences of things
like hidden characters in whatever text processor you are using.
Lilypond is not a text editor it merely processes whatever you put in
it.

When you simply copy and paste you are also copying and pasting all
the 'invisible' stuff along with it (line feeds, carriage returns and
so on). So if Lilypond comes across these inviisble characters it
isn't expecting it won't know what to do with them.

I assume you are copying and pasting because you are using some kind
of Virtual Infrastructure on your box with Windows in it? I cannot
think how else you can copy.paste. So this might simply not work in
all cases depending on your text editors.

If you can transfer the actual file over to your mac I am sure it
would work. Use Dropbox or email it to yourself (altough I'd probably
zip it first so that the email doesn't muck up any internal
characters).

if your *.ly file is truly plain text it will work on any platform. I
do it all the time.

James