Re: Server at Paris VIII

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Server at Paris VIII
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 15:56:55 +0200

On 14 mai 2012, at 15:40, Graham Percival wrote:

> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 02:25:29PM +0200, John Mandereau wrote:
>> Hi Graham,
>> Il giorno dom, 13/05/2012 alle 19.24 +0200, Graham Percival ha scritto:
>>> Agreed.  I think the most we'd use it for would be LSR.  I don't
>>> think we should give ssh logins to developers for testing patches;
>>> that should be done locally otherwise it could easily lead to
>>> major headaches [3] for whoever's handling this.
>>>
>>> [3] then again, it's not me so if you want to try it, go ahead.
>>
>> So, who should be initially given access to this server?  Mike and you?
>> A subset of Mike, you and me?
>
> I'd rather not touch it if possible -- I spent a moderate amount
> of thought+effort into the Patchy system specifically because I
> wanted it to be decentralized.

The main reason I want the server at Paris VIII is so that people can use it
without tying up their home machine.  Ideally, it'll just ping them whenever
it's done.  This'll be really helpful for me - I often have heavy processes
running on my MacBook Pro and builds slow them down.  So the goal is still for
it to be decentralized but to have one pole in Saint-Denis for those who don't
have enough spare processing power to run patchy regularly on their home
machine.

Cheers,
MS