Re: web: update GSoC subpage (issue 6190068)

From: fedelogy
Subject: Re: web: update GSoC subpage (issue 6190068)
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 09:43:15 +0000

On 2012/05/11 09:12:05, janek wrote:
On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 2:08 AM,  <mailto:address@hidden> wrote:
> Hey Janek,
>
> have you seen this thread in -bug list?
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2012-04/msg00042.html
>
> I think that gsoc page should be corrected now, i.e.:
>
> - hammer-on and pull-off are already implemented,

I'm not totally sure.  I play guitar a bit, and from what i know slurs
are not exactly the same as hammer-on/pull-off.  A slur means a smooth
transition between notes, and of course hammer-on/pull-of gives a
smooth transition, but i've also seen slurs in guitar music that are
impossible to achieve this way - you just have to play smoothly.
In other words, a slur says how the music should sound like, while
hammer-on/pull-off say how to play it (what technique should be used).
  Thus, i think they should be separate things.
I think i've also seen a special notation for them - iirc it was H or
P attached to the slur or something like that.

But i can remove this from the project list to reduce confusion.

I think that the main point here is that we should document how lilypond
works now.. and now if you use slurs you'll get hammer-on(s) and
pull-off(s) in TabStaff.

I know the notation using P and H, it was used some years ago and it's
very rare nowadays. I think that it's just redundant and noisy: you can
easily guess by the numbers if it's a hammer-on or a pull-off.
It was discussed in the tablature mailing list:
http://lilypond-s-support-for-tablatures.3383434.n2.nabble.com/

I see your point about the difference between slurs and
hammer-on/pull-off, but it would take a lot of space to discuss it and
it's probably off topic here.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6190068/