Re: Plan for discussions

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Plan for discussions
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 20:17:19 +0200

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 01:57:08AM +0200, Janek Warchoł wrote:
> i suggest to discuss some communication guidelines, for example "don't
> say <It's settled then> until there's more than 1 day of discussion
> and not all concerns have been addressed, even if you think that the
> decision is obvious".

I think last year's GOP communications guidelines were sufficient.
How exactly do you suggest to change them, and why?  What were the
problems with GOP?

> Also, how do we treat partial/imperfect/temporary solutions?

On an ad-hoc basis?  I don't know how else we can do it.

> Should we accept it or not?

Depends on the patch.

> Can we discuss bigger changes in syntax, too?  I mean, not just the
> naming of commands (of course that's needed), but also the stuff that
> is related to how things work inside Lily.  For example syntax for
> overriding broken spanners, context-id-specific overrides, etc.

The first run of GLISS will probably not involve any tweaks or
overrides, but we'll see how it goes.

> i'm afraid that discussing really big
> structural changes in LilyPond (which are necessary imho) over e-mail
> will take sooo much time that it'll be very ineffective.

As said elsewhere, I am not aware of any viable alternative that
is sufficiently inclusive for our developer community.

- Graham