Re: translators: fix your "open source" mistranslations

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: translators: fix your "open source" mistranslations
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 21:36:38 +0200

2012/5/6 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> On Sun, May 06, 2012 at 07:02:20PM +0200, Jean-Charles Malahieude wrote:
>>
>> Just two instances in GSoC node that I'm not sure they should be
>> transformed:
>>
>> fr (translation)]$ git grep -n 'open source'
>> web/community.itexi:930:étudiants pour écrire du code au bénéfice de
>> projets @emph{open source}.
>> web/community.itexi:931:Google a travaillé de concert avec la
>> communauté @emph{open source} afin
>
> Hmm.  The English version is a direct quote from google's website,
> and of course one should never change direct quotes.  Now if
> you're translating the quote for some reason, then I guess you
> should try to keep as close to the original meaning as possible...
> and in google's case, they definitely mean "open source" instead
> of "free software".
>
> So I guess those shouldn't be changed, and if that's it in the
> French translation then I guess you're fine.

We have in English

http://lilypond.org/freedom.html
“Gift culture”: the Free Software (or “Open Source”) movement has created...

http://lilypond.org/reviews.html
“Wonderful free (open source) software [..]

I think the first is wrong; the second is an exact quote from something wrong.
--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com