Re: Doc: NR clarified \footnote command as a TextScript (issue 6137050)

From: dak
Subject: Re: Doc: NR clarified \footnote command as a TextScript (issue 6137050)
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 19:43:32 +0000

Ok, everybody will love me for my late thinking again.  But here we go:
we have two cases of footnotes: one that will attach itself to whatever
happens at a given point of time, being an independent event.  Those
footnotes, having a natural duration of 0, come (unless they are in
simultaneous music) _before_ the things they attach themselves to,
possibly restricted by Grob type so that they don't grab too much.

Then you can use footnotes as _articulations_.  Then they come behind
what they refer to, separated by - ^ _.

I think that's less intuitive than necessary.  I propose we _always_ let
them try to attach themselves as postevents/articulations, by defining
the footnote command with define-event-function.  Then the - before the
footnote call is optional, like it is with things like \p.

I think that makes more sense to explain.  Yes, it is a nuisance to
rewrite the documentation _again_, but everything else is really not all
that helpful.  Strictly speaking, this would also require a convert-ly
rule, but I can't think of a good one.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6137050/