Re: somebody needs to run staging before 29 Jan

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: somebody needs to run staging before 29 Jan
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 15:34:45 +0100

James <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,

>>> That would be a waste of your skills.
>>
>> The skills will eventually become unavailable anyway if nobody pays for
>> either major or minor variants of them, so that should be the smallest
>> worry.  I have not offered to do it for free, anyway.  If the time I
>> spend on that is paid for, it is no loss to anybody.
>>
>>> I don't have a 24/7 computer,
>>
>> Neither is a laptop, but I'd still get some stuff done.
>>
>>> but if no one else will volunteer i can run Patchy (the skills
>>> necessary are quite like mine).  I only need to pass my exams - 9 days
>>> left till i have lots of time to investigate and improve Patchy (with
>>> Julien's help).
>>

> I have a machine that I can keep running 24/7 (well I have electricity
> 24/7, Internet connection probably about 20/7) and have already
> offered (and been trying) to run patchy but with limited success this
> week.

Patchy has been running for about 6 hours on my laptop trying to get the
current staging (which is one trivial commit ahead of master) checked.
And is still on it.  It bogs down development use to a crawl.  At least
with this (the quite old laptop, about 1Ghz single core, since the last
laptop died on me) this is not a serious option for LilyPond
development.  Even when the replacement laptop arrives, it will not be
much of an option if development is to continue.  I might see whether I
manage to get the laptop with the dead screen working remotely, but I
doubt it will take less than 4 hours for a patchy run.

So seriously: this needs to move to a different computer if LilyPond
development is of concern to you all.