Re: lilypond-book on windows

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: lilypond-book on windows
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 18:50:56 +0100

On 12/01/2012 09:06, David Kastrup wrote:
> "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Trevor Daniels wrote Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:49 PM
>>
>>> To carry things to their logical conclusion I'm installing MikTeX to
>>> see if it is possible to make Reinhold's code work as intended on
>>> Windows.  Even if it does, I could not recommend downloading
>>> 167Mbytes of MikTeX just to pick up these values automatically.
>> Well, MikTex contains texi2dvi.exe, so I renamed this to texi2pdf.exe
>> and added its directory to the MinGW path.
> You need a TeX distribution anyway to create PDF from lytex files.  And
> if you are not creating print copy there is no point in figuring out a
> line width as it would deliver a result without any meaning (except if
> for some reason you want notes in HTML use the same line breaks as in
> print).  So if lilypond-book fails when creating HTML documentation
> without a TeX distribution, this is a deficiency not just in Windows.

Exactly, and as I said, it is supposed to work without texi2pdf (and/or
a working TeX installation) available.

However, even for HTML we need some kind of line width so that we can
line-break all lilypond snippets. The default fallback value (which
roughly corresponds to A4 with some margins) is an acceptable default
value, so things should look okay in any case.

The problem is just that the subprocess module needs msvcrt on Windows,
but that python as provided by lilypond does not ship that module. I
would rather see this as a packaging problem, or am I seeing something
wrong?

Cheers,
REinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886