Re: lilypond-book on windows

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: lilypond-book on windows
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 18:49:28 -0000

Phil Holmes wrote Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:34 PM

I'd be a little wary of simply making this work on Windows by commenting code out, without ensuring there is no effect on other platforms. I'd be even more wary of doing this in a Python delivered file. It'd be a shame to break the doc build doing this. Even if the sleep command is bracketed with an if system=mingw, you still only have the same effect (making this run on windows with default values) as the earlier patch supplied. Far better to make a change we completely understand than get rid of a line that may be vital to the functioning on other platforms, while at the same time making upgrading Python even more difficult by customising the system code.

Absolutely.  I would not recommend making these changes to the
distributed python code.  I made these changes locally to see what
other problems might be lurking.  It was reassuring to find there
were so few, but as we can achieve the same effect by changing
just lily code that is clearly what we should do.

To carry things to their logical conclusion I'm installing MikTeX to
see if it is possible to make Reinhold's code work as intended on
Windows.  Even if it does, I could not recommend downloading
167Mbytes of MikTeX just to pick up these values automatically.

Trevor