Re: Doc search: update to version 2.15, use it in the "site:" part(issue

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Doc search: update to version 2.15, use it in the "site:" part(issue 5530043)
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 14:32:33 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2012 2:10 PM

I totally share your sentiment, but we depend on an external entity
here, which we cannot control.  Suppose we go from 2.15.x to 2.17.x and
put the documentation under "v2.17".  For some time, Google won't have
the new location in its index, so the search would get nothing.  It
would be better to keep "v2.15" in the search for a while and have a
redirection from "v2.15" to "v2.17".  Speaking of redirections, I would
prefer that Lilypond had just two versions of its documentation online -
latest "stable" and latest "development".  "v2.12" and "v2.14" shoould
redirect to "stable", "v2.15" should redirect to "development".  That
would solve the issue with hardcoded version numbers and keep Google
happy.

+1

--
Phil Holmes