Re: Reorganize NR 1.3 Expressive marks

From: James
Subject: Re: Reorganize NR 1.3 Expressive marks
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 21:36:22 +0000

Xavier,

On 8 January 2012 21:08, Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> Currently we have snippets about DynamicTextSpanner both in
> NR 1.3.1 Expressive marks attached to notes > Dynamics  and in
> NR 1.8.1 Writing text > Text spanners .
>
> It would be more consistent to have everything about DynamicTextSpanner
> in the same section of the NR, i.e. NR 1.3.1, with a cross-reference
> to this section in NR 1.8.1.  But that would make a lot of snippets
> about dynamics together.
>
> Why not make a specific section of NR 1. Musical notation  about
> dynamics (e.g NR 1.3 Dynamics , containing what is currently in
> "Dynamics" and "New dynamic marks" + the snippets moved from NR 1.8.1),
> and another section for the other "expressive marks attached to notes"
> (NR 1.4 "Expressive marks attached to notes" containing in the order
> "Articulations and ornamentations", "Trills", "Slurs", "Breath marks",
> "Falls and doits", "Glissando", "Arpeggio")?
>
> I'd suggest something like:
>
> NR 1.3 Dynamics
>   1.3.1 Dynamic marks
>   1.3.2 Hairpins
>   1.3.3 Dynamic text spanners
>   1.3.4 New dynamic marks
>   1.3.5 Custom dynamic text spanners
>
> NR 1.4 Expressive marks
>   1.4.1 Articulations and ornamentations
>         Articulations and ornamentations, Trills (with trills together)
>   1.4.2 Curves
>         Slurs (with a warning cross-ref about ties), Phrasing slurs,
>         Breath marks, Falls and doits
>   1.4.3 Lines
>         Glissando, Arpeggio (but not trills here)
>         We could add something about the horizontal line that means
>         "keep the finger", "keep the position" or "stay on the same string".
>
> What do you think?

I think we need to have some feedback from Graham the Doc Meister and
Trevor (who both did most of the Documentation).

Then assuming this has approval then we need a tracker (or 2, maybe 3)
to manage this, it certainly won't be something we should be doing in
a single patch.

It looks nice on paper, but when you get down to it - as I started to with

It isn't as trivial as you think - and can end up a lot of work, and
while I understand the request, there are more pressing items I think
we need to do with the doc before we start to move huge sections
around.

I'd personally like to get the the 50% or so of the current tracker
items done first

http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list?can=2&q=type=Documentation&colspec=ID&sort=priority&x=type&y=priority&cells=tiles&mode=grid

If you can help on any of these that would be useful.

James