Re: Need real cross-staff chords

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Need real cross-staff chords
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 02:06:05 -0500

Quoting Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>:

There is no "forced-distance" now.  I can use "minimal-distance", but
there is no guarantee that Lilypond won't increase the distance between
staves.  And Lilypond may do it because of something in another measure.

You can get a fixed distance by setting minimal-distance = basic-distance,
and stretchability = 0.

Thank you, Carl! It would be an acceptable solution, even though not the best one. However, it's not working for me. Even simple dynamics can break everything. This is the "snippet" approach for a change.

The gap between staves is wider and the stems are broken in the second measure. Perhaps I misunderstood your suggestion?

\version "2.14.2"
\score {
  <<
    \new PianoStaff <<
      \new Staff = right {
        \override Stem #'length = #22
        \override Stem #'cross-staff = ##t
        \override Stem #'Y-offset = #-6
        b4 b4 b4 b4 \break |
        b4_\< b4\! b4 b4 |
      }
      \new Staff = left {
        \override Stem #'stencil = ##f
        \clef bass c4 c4 c4 c4 |
        c4 c4 c4 c4 |
      }

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Staff
      \override VerticalAxisGroup #'staff-staff-spacing =
        #'((basic-distance . 9)
           (minimum-distance . 9)
           (padding . 1)
           (stretchability . 0))