Re: Uses the pure-from-neighbor-interface for NonMusicalPaperColumn hori

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Uses the pure-from-neighbor-interface for NonMusicalPaperColumn horizontal spacing. (issue 5432070)
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 11:27:59 -0800

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 02:17:27 -0800, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:

But break_status_dir doesn't seem to be contingent on line breaking (again, I
could be wrong).  It actually seems to be the opposite - line breaking can't
happen w/o break_status_dir being called first.

That seems to be correct.
I have trouble following the object-oriented stuff, so I depended too much on the
variable names and assumed 'broken' referred to line-breaking.  Following your
description, 'broken' here does seem to mean "copied to make three copies" so I
see how you add height to only the copy that might appear at begin-of-line.

Actually, your "don't-hang-over-me" rule would fit there nicely as a new type in a 'space-alist' to go
alongside "minimum-space", "semi-fixed-space" etc.   It could be "no-overlap-space" and
use the extent of the Item and the next-note column rather than their skylines.

I've toyed around with this idea - it would take me a while to figure out how
to integrate it into Staff_spacing::get_spacing, but it seems completely
appropriate.  Perhaps a last 2011 or first 2012 project.

I might have made a bad suggestion there.  The space-alists might be applied after
columns are built up to include all Staves, Lyrics, etc., so it might not be easy to
apply the "don't-hang-over-me" to notes and decorations only.  Also, it might
not be the natural way to prevent ledgered notes from hanging over the /following/ bar,
because note-columns don't need space-alists for any other reason.