Re: Modify fret calculation algorithm (issue3320041)

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Modify fret calculation algorithm (issue3320041)
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 09:54:44 +0100

Am 27.11.2010 09:22, schrieb Trevor Daniels:

Carl Sorensen wrote Saturday, November 27, 2010 4:10 AM

Neil found a bug in the code. What happens when someone requests an open string that isn't present
in the tuning?

I've got the code fixed to issue a warning.  After
issuing the warning, we have two choices:
1 -- leave the improper pitch out of the tablature (which will leave a 0 fingering in the Staff and no corresponding pitch in the tablature)

2 -- calculate that pitch as part of the tablature, will will leave a 0 fingering in the Staff and a non-zero fret in the tablature.

Which would be preferable?

Isn't the 0 fingering in the Staff equally incorrect?

As it is impossible to determine whether the pitch
or the fingering is wrong this should really be classed as a syntax error - the combination is invalid.
I thought I'd vote for 2, but Trevor is right - IMHO, this should be a (syntax) error, not only a warning.

Marc

Trevor