Re: Modify fret calculation algorithm (issue3320041)

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Modify fret calculation algorithm (issue3320041)
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 21:10:38 -0700

On 11/26/10 5:25 PM, "Patrick Schmidt" <address@hidden> wrote:
> Am 26.11.2010 um 23:41 schrieb address@hidden:
>
>> On 2010/11/26 19:39:06, steve.yegge wrote:
>>> I also tried out the zero-fingering feature.  It works quite well in
>> conjunction
>>> with setting the minimumFret.  Again, I found no bugs, although my
>> testing
>>> shouldn't be considered exhaustive.
>>
>> I think it should work, and we haven't found any bugs yet, so once we
>> get a style review we should be able to go ahead and push.  If bugs
>> show
>> up later, we'll fix them.

Neil found a bug in the code.  What happens when someone requests an open
string that isn't present in the tuning?

I've got the code fixed to issue a warning.  After issuing the warning, we
have two choices:

1 -- leave the improper pitch out of the tablature (which will leave a 0
fingering in the Staff and no corresponding pitch in the tablature)

2 -- calculate that pitch as part of the tablature, will will leave a 0
fingering in the Staff and a non-zero fret in the tablature.

Which would be preferable?

Thanks,

Carl