Re: Line breaks in @file{} entries?

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Line breaks in @file{} entries?
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 18:51:32 +0100

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:
> With such a big patch, this is an example of a patch that should likely have
> been two patches:
> 1) Fix all the @file references (i.e. from @code, etc.)
> 2) Insert the line breaks where appropriate.
> Then we could have handled the two cases separately.

Indeed. I realized that just afterwards :)

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 5:35 PM, Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:
> I think I agree with Trevor that the patch should be reverted (but I don't
> feel strongly enough about it to do it over your objection).

I understand it, and you would be completely right... if the existing
@/ escaping had actually been consistent and meaningful in the first
place (which it was really, really not). In this case, it would
*certainly* be a pity to loose the information we had.

If, however, we are to apply automatic substitution rules to make the
syntax consistent (such as what I've been suggesting with my latest
patch linked to in my former mail), then it doesn't really make a
difference.

A safer solution would be to remove all "@/" altogether for now.

---> Downside: we're still losing whatever information we might
previously have had wrt escaped vs non-escaped @file entries
(although, again, I sincerely doubt this information was more reliable
and meaningful than whatever automatic rules we come up with in the
future).

---> Upside: we don't lose whatever @file{} formatting I added, and
this  temporarily solves the line-breaks problem until we can have a
more proper solution.

Please have a look at the attached patch:
http://dl.free.fr/pMyOkyICo
(sorry about the inconvenience, but it's the only way for me to send
larges patches. I did try and upload my patch on Rietveld, but git cl
eventually failed with a BadStatusLine error. I'm guessing there was a
server timeout at some point.)

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Long entries are those who contain either more than one dash or more
>                                          that  :)
>>
>> than one slash (not counting "../").

Er, are you suggesting that
@file{this/is/a/very/long/path/towards/myfile.scm}
should be printed without a line break?

> Hhm.  Not sure.  I think I'd prefer "more than three dashes or slashes",
> if we are to do it that way, but really it depends more on the total length
> of the name rather than the number of dashes and slashes.  I'd prefer
> "if the name is longer than 50 characters (say)".
> And if the name is too long then I'd prefer to place a single optional break
> near to the middle, so we don't get tiny fragments at the end or start of
> lines.

Both suggestions seem reasonable and easy enough to achieve.
(50 chars are really long, though.)

Cheers,
Valentin.