Re: cueDuring and its various settings

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: cueDuring and its various settings
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 17:42:59 -0000

Reinhold Kainhofer wrote Monday, November 22, 2010 4:35 PM

I'm currently trying to make cue notes much better supported in LilyPond. In particular, it's not as simple as quoting the notes in a CueVoice. In real
scores, there are several different options to take into account:
-) Transpose the cue notes (usually by an octave, e.g. when quoting a piccolo
  flute), already possible using \transposedCueDuring
-) Add a the proper clef for the quoted instrument (and automatically reset
  the clef to the clef of the quoting instrument)
-) Add a cue instrument name (i.e. an InstrumentSwitch grob) to display the
  quoted instrument name

There might be even more possible options, but these are really needed in my scores. Since we have 3 different options, which might or might not be needed in a cued part, we have 8 different combinations of necessary option settings.

Not another option, but the use of cue notes in vocal
scores requires these to be inserted in parallel with
normal notes.  In this case, of course, no change in
clef is possible (or required).  It might be necessary
to change the positioning of the cue instrument name,
but that should be possible and acceptable with the
usual overrides.  There is an example of the use of
cues for this purpose in the Musical cues section of
recent versions of NR 2.1.6 Vocal music.

Trevor