Re: questioning doc policy for @item

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: questioning doc policy for @item
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 00:24:47 -0000

Trevor Daniels wrote Sunday, November 21, 2010 11:58 PM

Graham Percival wrote Sunday, November 21, 2010 11:18 PM

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 09:38:42AM -0000, Trevor Daniels wrote:

Graham Percival wrote Saturday, November 20, 2010 8:40 PM

>Who wants to edit the CG for this? James is away for a few >days,
>so there's no point leaving it as a "learn how to use git"
>exercise.  Somebody please edit the CG and push (no reitveld
>necessary).

Graham: please check the commit to be sure you're happy
with this.  bf4298556820ead4deff2d667c362c2d7d045e67

Looks fine, but I have a vague memory of some special case for
@item inside @multitable...?  or am I confused?

I think you're right, but it's @table not @multitable.

I've not done a test, but I think in @table the first
of the two items /must/ be on the same line as @item and
the second starts a new line.

I didn't put that very clearly.  I should have said

"the text for the first column /must/ be on the same
line as @item, and must be separated from the text for the second column by a newline."

In @multitable, @tab starts the second and subsequent
lines so here the distinction between the items is clear
and I don't think the positioning is important.

and here,

"@tab introduces the text for the second and following
columns, so here the distinction between the text for
the several columns is clear and newlines are not
significant."

Trevor