Re: vim filetype off

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: vim filetype off
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 12:52:36 -0700

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 12:32:30PM -0700, Patrick McCarty wrote:
> On 2010-07-27, Graham Percival wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 11:15:36AM -0700, Patrick McCarty wrote:

> > > Basically, if I remove the "filetype" lines, the "set runtimepath"
> > > occurs too late in the filetype detection sequence to have any effect.
> > >  By turning off filetype detection, modifying the runtimepath, and
> > > re-enabling filetype detection, the new runtimepath will be
> > > recognized.
> >
> > Hmm.  I'd prefer doing
> >   set runtimepath+=
> >   syntax on
> > since that's IMO more understandable.  According to that thread,
> > it will have the same effect.
>
> That doesn't work for me, unfortunately.
>
> Sourcing $VIMRUNTIME/vimrc_example.vim executes
>
>   syntax on
>   filetype plugin indent on
>
> which means that the runtimepath has already been searched before any
> commands in ~/.vimrc are executed.
>
> Looking into this a bit more, I found another incantation that works:
>
>   set runtimepath+=/path/to/lilypond/current/vim
>   runtime! ftdetect/lilypond.vim
>
> Would you prefer this over the filetype off/on version?

Mao.  When I read that "syntax on" called "filetype on"
internally, I assumed that it would reload the directories, but
apparently not.

Huh.  It also depends on whether you have a system-wide vimrc that
contains "syntax on"... debian doesn't, but I'm guessing that
ubuntu/redhat/etc would.  Or at least, they /might/, so we can't
rely on them not having this.

ok, let's keep the
  filetype off
  set runtimepath+=
  filetype on
version.  People might wonder about it, but it's safe and works.
Maybe some later version of vim will fix the runtimepath issue.  :(

Cheers,
- Graham