random music

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: random music
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 18:17:51 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

I'm thinking of writing a little fun application based on "Mozart's Musikalisches Wuerfelspiel". The idea is to compose a 16-bar Waltz using a pair of (virtual) dice and a table of musical fragments.

I already wrote such a game for Mup ( I you have Mup, go to http://linux.martintarenskeen.nl and look for "mupsdice" )

And long ago I had this version of the same game on my old Atari ST:
http://tamw.atari-users.net/mozart.htm

Now I want to try to write a Lilypond version. I'll probably use Python to do it. If I have the time. Don't wait for it, I'll let you know if I ever finish it :-)

But thinking about this little project I was wondering: Would it be possible to write a lilypond input file, using just pure Lilypond syntax and some Scheme magick, that would produce a different score each time you process it with Lilypond? I don't know much about scheme programming, but a short google search tells me it has some support for random numbers.

Aleatoric composition using Lilypond ... maybe a nice challenge for Lilypond/Scheme developers and power-users ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleatoric_music

--

Martin