Re: Can't get a patch through because of weekly development releases.

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Can't get a patch through because of weekly development releases.
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 11:54:25 -0700

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 07:15:38PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 09:24:05AM -0600, Carl Sorensen wrote:
> >>
> >> I think that David's idea has some promise now.  Create a new branch, with
> >> version that's unique to this branch.
> >
> > \version "9.999.9"  ?
>
> How is that unique to a particular branch?

Simply because we're never going to have version 9.999.9 ?  I
mean, even when we start development for lilypond 10, we're never
going to have 999 releases between lilypond 8 and 10.  We could
use 9.999.9 as a convention for "not a real version number".

Yes, it's not as safe as adding letters to the version number, but
OTOH I'm pretty certain that we could use 9.999.9 without any
build-system-related problems.  (hmm... actually, it's just
possible that it wouldn't be happy with the leading 2.  But
something like 2.999.9 should be totally safe)

Cheers,
- Graham