How do I add new noteheads to lilypond?

From: Andrew Wagner
Subject: How do I add new noteheads to lilypond?
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 18:13:37 -0500

Hello-

I've been working on and off over the last couple years at getting
Lilypond to typeset twinline notation (among others) for the music
notation project.  Kevin Dalley's abandoned patches thankfully did
most of the heavy lifting, but the noteheads he used were never
posted.  I believe I now know enough Metafont to have a fighting
chance of add the noteheads we need.

What steps do I need to take to add and enable new noteheads in lilypond?

1. Edit feta-bolletjes.mf (now something like feta-noteheads.mf)
2. Manually trigger the fonts to be rebuilt (how?)
3. Install the fonts (where?)
4. Anything else?

My branch is based on 2.11.45 with Kevin Dalley's patches.  It's up on github:

The lily file that defines a handful of chromatic notations:
http://github.com/drewm1980/lilypond-an/blob/mark_hanlon/input/musicnotation/chromatic.ly

The most interesting line being:

(cons "twinline" (vector '(2 4) '(0) 0 1 6 twinline-layout #(default
do default downdo default do default downdo default do default
downdo)))

... it is the downdo noteheads that are missing.

The metafont file that defines noteheads:
http://github.com/drewm1980/lilypond-an/blob/mark_hanlon/mf/feta-bolletjes.mf

A sample code snippet that would hopefully display a scale in twinline notation:
http://github.com/drewm1980/lilypond-an/blob/mark_hanlon/input/musicnotation/fontcheck/fontcheck.ly

To get started I tried duplicating and renaming one of the existing
noteheads to "downdo", but it wasn't visible after a rebuild after
liliypond.

Thanks!
Drew