Re: Can't get a patch through because of weekly development releases.

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Can't get a patch through because of weekly development releases.
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 19:44:30 -0600

On 7/13/10 5:41 PM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 05:30:38PM -0600, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>> Because it changes the syntax, I need to change documentation text,
>> documentation examples in english, french, spanish, and german (plus
>> potentially in hungarian and japanese), documentation snippets, regression
>> tests, web examples, and convert-ly.  Every one of these files needs a
>> version.  (And I haven't yet mentioned changes.tely).
>
> Hmm, I hadn't thought of that.
>
>> How the mao am I supposed to get a patch reviewed?  I prepared the patch for
>> 2.13.27, then updated it for 2.13.28, and now we're at 2.13.29.  The review
>> cycle is *longer* than the release cycle!  I suppose there's some way to use
>> xargs to fund the files changed in the patch and automatically (using sed)
>> change every occurrence of 2.13.28 to 2.13.29, but I don't have the bash
>> script-fu to do this.
>
> If you have the patch as a single file, then (in vim) it would be
>   %s/2.13.28/2.13.29/g

Ahh, this provides a workable idea.

> But if you're working on a separate branch (as is right and proper
> for a major change), then I'm not certain how to go about it.  I'm
> looking forward to opinions.

git diff master > version-patch

sed s/2.13.28/2.13.29/g <version-patch >new-version-patch

git checkout master

git branch -f new-version

git checkout new-version

git apply new-version-patch

git diff old-branch > update-version-patch

git checkout old-branch

git apply update-version-patch

git branch -D new-version

I think this will work.  It's quite a few commands, but much less than
editing 41 files!

Thanks,

Carl