Re: Revised version of waveform renderer on Rietveld that uses glpk

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Revised version of waveform renderer on Rietveld that uses glpk
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 08:35:57 -0600

On 7/2/10 7:50 AM, "Mike Solomon" <address@hidden> wrote:

> http://codereview.appspot.com/1720046
>
> Hey developers,
>     Today I had time to finish version 2 of my waveform patch that uses glpk
> to do smooth linear interpolation of waveforms.  As there is a dependency
> freeze & glpk is ultimately too big & too everchanging to be part of
> lilypond, this won't make it into 2.14, but I'd like to get it into a
> development version ASAP.

Our way of working, AFAIK, is that the development version will ultimately
turn into 2.14.  Therefore, we can't add this directly into a 2.13.x
development version.

Probably the best way to do this is to maintain a parallel branch, either as
part of the main lilypond repo or as a separate repo.  Then you could
maintain the waveform branch with the main 2.13 branch, and after 2.14 is
out we could merge the waveform stuff into 2.15 if it's accepted.

In order to do this on the lilypond repo, you'd need to have commit access
(which may be justified given the woodwind diagram patch).  But I don't make
those decisions.

It would be simple for you to set up a git repository for lilypond-waveform
at repo.or.cz.  This would make the code publicly available so others could
use it.  And then it's readily available for merging into 2.15

> I've already composed a piece w/ the old version
> of the patch & the new version has rendered said piece even prettier.
>     In making it, I've learned a great deal about linear and cone
> programming and I think that there are many elements of lilypond, most
> notably its traffic-coppery of intersections, that could be phrased in a
> constrained semi-definite optimization program.  This may be a pet project
> of mine later down the line, but for now, the current patch would benefit
> greatly from your opinions and usage.
>     The patch, which shows some (but not all) side-by-side diffs is up at:
> http://codereview.appspot.com/1720046 .  Note that in it, I have a change to
> include/lily-guile.hh that I needed to make for OS X to get the guile
> ellipses to work (...) .  This can likely be removed w/o consequence,
> although as I know next to nothing about guile, I have no clue what effect
> this has - I just know that w/o it, lilypond didn't compile on my machine,
> and I couldn't figure out a way to format the patch w/o picking this up.
>     Anyway, please let me know what you think!!!  For ideas, check out
> http://www.apollinemike.com/lilypond/waveform

I have to admit that I don't understand what any of this means musically,
but it looks way cool!

Thanks,

Carl