\displayLilyMusic function

From: James Lowe
Subject: \displayLilyMusic function
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 12:16:16 +0100

Hello,

While browsing around the NR I came across a 'what happens if a user uses windows' comment in one of the *.itely files.

Specifically regarding this section.

3.3.4 Displaying LilyPond notation
Displaying a music expression in LilyPond notation can be done using the music
function
\displayLilyMusic. For example,
{
  \displayLilyMusic \transpose c a, { c4 e g a bes }
}
   will display
{ a,4 cis e fis g }
   By default, LilyPond will print these messages to the console along with all
the other mes-
sages. To split up these messages and save the results of \display{STUFF},
redirect the output
to a file.
lilypond file.ly >display.txt

Now this all seems to work however I always get a PDF file created even if the *.ly file contains

\version "2.13.6"

{
  \displayLilyMusic \transpose c a, { c4 e g a bes }
}

I just want to check that that is expected behaviour (i.e. without any CLI switches 'Lilypond myfile.ly' with just the above information should create a PDF.

Thanks for your time.

James