Problems with tablature angle brackets

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Problems with tablature angle brackets
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 16:26:56 -0800

Hello,

Recently James reported a problem compiling the tablature regression
tests containing angle brackets (entered with \harmonic).  See the
thread here:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2009-12/msg00511.html

The problem is that relatively few fonts contain the Unicode
characters U+2329 and U+232A, which are the characters used for the
angle brackets.  Additionally, there are problems with using these
glyphs, since they are canonically equivalent to two CJK characters.

I tried switching the lookups to U+27E8 and U+27E9 instead, but these
glyphs don't look as nice with my default serif font (DejaVu Serif).

Would it be a good idea to *draw* these angle brackets instead of
using glyphs from a font?  I'm thinking that there would be fewer
problems that way.

Thanks,
Patrick