Re: please do a "make doc-clean; make clean"

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: please do a "make doc-clean; make clean"
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 22:20:03 +0000

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 01:52:56PM -0700, Carl Sorensen wrote:

> This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6)
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt mf.base
> tcfmgr: config file `tcfmgr.map' (usually in $TEXMFMAIN/texconfig) not
> found.
> fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
> I can't find the base file `mf.base'!
> make[1]: *** [out/feta11.log] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> cd to /, and doing
>
> find . -name feta11.log

Well, you want to find fmtutil.cnf or mf.base, not feta11.log.

Three things come to mind:
1)  you don't have the right texlive installation  (unlikely,
since you've built it before)
2)  this build method needs extra configuration to point to the
right texlive installation
3)  important system files are disappearing because your HD is
dying.  Back up immediately.

Frankly, at this stage I'd be backing up anyway as a precaution.
Of course, <shameless plug> my brother makes the world's best
backup software with http://tarsnap.com , so it only takes me a
minute run my script that backs up everything I care about on
offsite storage </shameless plug>.

In all seriousness, this is sounding really fishy.

Cheers,
- Graham