Re: improving the CG

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: improving the CG
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 16:46:15 -0700

Graham Percival wrote:

Start: blindly copy&paste from:
- 1.1.2
- 1.1.3

Then, before you start working each day, you blindly copy&paste the
first item from
- 1.2.2

Then you edit whatever file with whatever editor you want (graphical,
command-line, raw manipulation of bits on the hard drive by holding a
magnet).  When you're finished, you blindly copy&paste the first bit
from
- 1.3.1
and then write a short commit message.

A precis like this would be *gold* in the CG!

and more importantly, *what* do I edit: where are the bits and
pieces which eventually become lilypond, what parts of the source should I
look at and where/how do I find them?

Have you looked at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/web/help-us

> ?
> That's the intended "starting off" position.

Following the obvious trail from there leads to 3.0 Documentation work, which points prominently to "Starting With Git". In context, that led me to think that git was essential, beyond the simple steps set out above. Following that rabbit sidetracked me from reading further into 3.1 et seq., which would have answered a lot of my questions. My suggestion, and I'll quite likely submit a patch accordingly, would be to clarify that the entry level contribs don't need heavy-duty git, just the few simple steps set out above.

Also, I'm sorry I asked you to see how much you could get done without
asking questions -- some new contributors ask me to repeat things
which are in the CG, and you caught me in a less-than-ideal mood.
You've clearly demonstrated that you do your homework before asking
questions, so in the future please ask me about anything that's
stumped you for more than 10 minutes.  My answer might be "ick, I'll
need to fix that; please wait" or "don't try to understand that stuff;
just copy&paste XYZ", but at least you'll know where you stand.  :)

No worries about the initial direction, Graham: I'm the sort to push it as far as I can anyway. ISTM the more I can reliably and acceptably to up front, the less the senior devs will need to do in applying trivial stuff.

(actually, the 10-minute rule is a good idea in general; I should add
_that_ to the CG)

Another one gits my vote!

Thanks for your help and patience, Graham; as Christmas winds down, I'll be able to persuade my wife and cats that I won't be down in the computer room *forever*!

pob hwyl!

Colin

--
A good juggler can always find work.
 - attributed to L. Pacioli (1445 - 1517)