anybody know autogen.sh ?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: anybody know autogen.sh ?
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 01:14:20 +0000

I'm getting weird autogen-related errors in GUB, which is puzzling,
since I can't think of any recent futzing around with autogen.sh
(either in the GUB git tree or in lilypond itself).

I then tried making sure that I can do autogen.sh in a plain old
out-of-tree build, but it fails.  It's obvious why -- look near the
top of the file:
if [ ! -f autogen.sh -o stepmake/autogen.sh -nt autogen.sh ]; then
    echo "stepmake/autogen.sh is newer.  Copying file."
    cp -f stepmake/autogen.sh autogen.sh
    exec ./autogen.sh "$@"

since the *current* directory has no stepmake/autogen.sh, this step fails.

Now, the question: should I just dump $srcdir in front of the
stepmake/autogen.sh line?  If I do that, it ends up going into an
infinite loop as the if statement is true again, triggering another cp
and another exec.  I could dump a bunch of $srcdir's in the if
statement, but at this point I'm getting less certain that I'm not
going to screw anything else up.

It would be great if somebody could help with this stage and get
autogen.sh to the point where it can be used in an out-of-tree build.
Then at least I have _that_ worry taken care of, when I start
debugging GUB again.

Cheers,
- Graham