Re: improving the CG

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: improving the CG
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 08:59:08 -0000

Mark Polesky wrote Saturday, December 26, 2009 3:13 AM

Carl Sorensen wrote:
As I think more about this, I wonder if there should be a
short and sweet summary for experienced Linux developers,
followed by a gentle (and longer) introduction for the
Windows guys.

Actually, I'm thinking there should be a short and sweet
summary for the GUI-based contributors, followed by a
different (and longer) introduction for the Git-based
developers.  I think most of the essentials will be visible
just by skipping the paragraphs (which wouldn't be _that_
long) and looking only at the command-line examples, which
would have everything the experienced devs would need.

I agree with Mark on this point, as long as it is
made clear very early what can be skipped by experienced
developers.

Anyway, regarding comments about `short and sweet' vs.
`diluted with fluff'...  I'm writing some text intended for
serious would-be developers that makes no assumptions about
previous development experience.  It won't be fluff (I'm
aiming for clarity not length), and it won't be required
reading for GUI contributors.  But it will explain (with
modest clarity, I hope) some of the currently missing
elements involved that may be common knowledge among more
experienced developers.

Good

I feel that it has taken me longer than it should have to
get familiar with some of the basics of compiling, so this
text would ideally reduce the confusion time for new
developers.  The idea is not just to get more contributors,
but to make it easier for more contributors to become good
developers.

Also good

I've attached an updated (but still unfinished) index
proposal.  The less detailed version follows below.

One final note about the current proposal:  Chapter 3 `Using
Git' looks like it'll be quite long this way.  I'm
considering splitting it into two chapters, but I've not
made up my mind about it.

I like Carl's idea about moving the git stuff to an
appendix (or two).

The structure you're proposing looks good to me,
but one comment I have is on the separate section about Git on Windows. Now that I'm running Ubuntu
I find that both gitk and git gui are virtually
identical on Unix and Windows, so much of the stuff
I wrote about git on Windows applies equally well
to Unix.  The choice of which approach to use is
not so much dependent of whether you're using Unix or Windows but whether your personal interface preference is CLI or GUI. So maybe the Git on Windows section could be more integrated? Perhaps with a separate section called Using git GUI and gitk maybe?

I also find cherry-picking to be a useful alternative
to rebasing, especially with the beautifully simple
interface in gitk.  Perhaps this could have a brief
explanation, as the man pages are so confusing.

Trevor